Checking for Student Comprehension
How do you get students to show you what they know?
- The Look: This instructor looks at the students’ faces and thinks, “They all seemed to understand.”
- The Feeling: This teacher scans the classroom with his/her intuition and says, “It really felt like they were getting it.”
- The Question: This educator asks the class if they understand and states, “I asked them and they all nodded, yes.”
- The Test: This instructor uses formal test, reviews it and considers, “It looks like they’re getting this but not that.”
- The Show & Tell: This teacher gets the students to show they understand and considers, “What is this telling me about the students’ needs?”