What do Clear Instructions look like in the classroom?
Essential Teaching Skills
This time, we’ll take a look at what this essential teaching skill really looks like in the classroom.
Clear Instructions in the Classroom
"Speaking is easy, communicating is a miracle," Caleb Gattegno
Now, let’s take a look at how these steps play out in the classroom by observing a teacher in action....
- The teacher shows the information gaps and asks students if each paper has the same or different information (the latter).
- The teacher tells the class that they will work together to complete it.
- The teacher writes a set of simple steps on the board:
|Giving visuals supports students|
- Take paper
- Find partner
- Decide A or B
- Ask questions
- Write down responses
- For the macro-view, connect the seven steps to clear instructions to the steps the teacher took (see below for possible responses).
- For the micro-view, examine each of the seven steps to clear instructions by asking yourself the following questions:
- Were the steps digestible enough?
- What about the steps made them digestible?
- How many different ways was the activity explained?
- What kind of language do you think the teacher used to explain it?
- What’s the benefit of writing out the instructions?
- What role does brevity play?
- What’s the benefit of showing students what an activity looks like first?
- When might you choose to not do this step?
- How does this step benefit the students?
- How does this step benefit the teacher?
|What are we supposed to do?|
- How does the student to student model help us assess their readiness?
- How might other students benefit from seeing it done by two of their peers?
- How does this step-by-step process help repair minsunderstandings?
- If the students seemed confused, what might the teacher do?
We offer educational institutions and individuals a scaffold to success.©
If you believe in excellence in teaching and excellence in learning, contact us to see how we can help.
Giving clear instructions is part of a teacher's essential tool kit.
TESOL Trainers provides students and teachers a scaffold to success!
TESOL Trainers - A Scaffold to success.
Contact the Director, John Kongsvik
to learn how we can set you up for success.